History & Renovation
The site originally consisted of multiple buildings including Hancock Dry Goods built in 1898.
In 1929, the buildings were purchased by N.W. Pugh Department store and were fully unified through the construction of the mosaic terracotta facade.
Grand Piano and Furniture Company purchased the building in 1965 and bricked over the entire exterior, encapsulating the historic windows and terra cotta mosaics. The building served as Grand’s flagship store until 1991 and then as an outlet location.
In 2007, the outer facade was demolished, revealing The Hancock’s signature terra cotta mosaic facade. The building was repurposed into one of Downtown Roanoke’s distinguished residential communities, consisting of 58 exquisite apartment suites and one commercial space.
During the building’s renovation, the development team kept the building’s history top of mind, working diligently to preserve the department store’s original charm and historical integrity. Features such as original hardwood floors and 8-foot windows give nod to the building’s history in downtown and are elegantly complemented by granite countertops and stainless steel appliances.
This attention to detail is what gives The Hancock the feel of a luxury custom home and makes it one of Downtown Roanoke’s most sought-after addresses.